Saturday, December 22, 2012

Let My Vacation Begin

Today, I was reviewing past blog drafts when I came across my thoughts written some 6 months ago as I returned from our last vacation.  I found that even 6 months ago my heart was preparing me for a change because I wrote these words... 
     "The anticipation and preparation that goes into taking vacation can be both exciting and exhausting. I always write a list of items I want to make sure and pack. There are big plans of how I will spend my time and often my plans and reality don't line up. We had two whole weeks recently that we packed the car to the brim and drove off into the eastern sunrise heading to my home childhood stomping grounds of Central Missouri. The all important pink beach bag filled with all the books, sketch book, pencils, painting DVD's and my i Pad.  
     As an artist I was torn between my desire to just paint along every stream and river that we drove past and the reality that I had to reach our destination.  Will life ever slow down enough that I can just focus on my art and not ever again worry about cramming my passion into a weekend or a two week time frame?"

I have been employed by the same church and Christian School for 27 years and have just retired my position as business administrator.  Now I can say that is a lot of years working as a bean counting and I am proud of my years there.  As a matter of fact, just this week they threw me a little party to show how much they appreciated me.  It was very touching and I hugged a lot of necks and cried some tears and with a great deal of mixed emotion, I now am faced with turning a new page in my life.

 The decision to retire wasn't an easy one because the economy uncertainty that we face in this country and especially here in Nevada makes leaving a job a decision not to be taken lightly.  I only dream that down the road I may supplement my husband's pension with the sale of my art or perhaps giving some lessons in the future.  I see some artists are very successful in selling their paintings, but as a whole I understand that the market isn't anything like it used to be.  I guess this is the ideal time to develop your style and increase your artistic abilities.

This past year has been one of the most difficult years professionally that I have faced and so today I'm sitting here full of mixed emotions.  Many of the things I was sure of a year ago have crumbled and have left me wanting.  What I do know is that man may disappoint but God will never forsake and that I find great pleasure in painting.

So that is why today I am determined to cast off this heaviness, turning my eyes towards the amazing world that God has given us, pick up a paintbrush and declare with great passion, "Let the vacation begin!"


No comments:

Post a Comment