Thursday, April 6, 2017

I GUESS I NEED MORE COWBELL




Last night turned out to be pretty exciting for me.  My feeling is that any day that has an art sale in it is a good day.  This past week I managed to finish my rooster painting that I have decided to call, "Rise and Shine".  That piece had been on my easel for almost a month because I have been so busy with all the details of my solo art show.  Along with finishing the painting, I was able to whip out a total of 3 cowbells.  One cowbell was given away as a prize at my art reception.  Last night I got a Facebook message from a woman I had met briefly last fall while at an outside art event.  She wanted to buy both of the remaining bells.

It's been just a little over 2 years since I painted my first cowbell.  I just had no idea how really popular these would become.  I would estimate that during those 2 years, I have painted almost 100 of them.  I know that just thinking about that many cowbells blows me away too.  The reality is that I'm not really so fond of painting on their hard metal surface, not to mention the limited space I have to work with.   I sometimes find the process frustrating but I have always approached each cowbell as a unique piece of art and try my hardest to make the end result be something to be proud of.

There are several upsides to cowbell sales...1.  Look at all the practice painting that I have gotten.  I think my style has become a little more loose and colorful.  I chalk that up some to all those cowbells.  Practice makes perfect they say and I've gotten a LOT of practice!  2.- Sales of any kind are a good thing to your bottom line.  Be it cards, magnets, prints or 100 cowbells, it all adds up.  I had a conversation yesterday with an artist who said he didn't want to fool around with selling cards.  I say "Yeah for card sales!"  If I could sell 100 or 1000 cards a month I would be a pretty happy artist.  It is a way of enlarging your fan base and as an artist I have to face the reality that while many people may like my work, most won't see the need to invest in an original piece of art.  I dream of the day that my original paintings are in demand but until then....I will be excited for every cowbell and greeting card I sell.

AFTER ALL, AND I'M QUOTING THAT FAMOUS SNL CLASSIC VIDEO WHEN I SAY ALL WE NEED IS "MORE COWBELL!"


No comments:

Post a Comment