Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Finding Your Art Market

MAKE SURE AND CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE AT Julie Townsend Studio


I had the privilege yesterday morning of carrying on a small discourse with Artist Mentor Online (AMO) artist, Linda Fisler on Facebook.  She published a blog yesterday titled "Starbucks Anyone?" Here is the link if you would like to check it out: Linda Fisler Blog.  Now if you know me at all, you know that while I don't frequent Starbucks, I am a McDonald's regular for many of the same reasons that Linda discussed in her blog.  Good coffee, good service and free WiFi are just part of the reason that I am a loyal fan of the Golden Arches.
Morning favorites...coffee, i Pad and my Nevada map


I loved that she discussed the 4 P's of advertising that any student of business has memorized (Product, Price, Promotion and Placement).  When I was in the business world I was required to read a number of books on marketing that talked about creating raving fans, flipping the funnel to retain your customer base and on and on..so it's not a topic that it foreign to me.  Linda talks about knowing your collector in  her blog and since I am new to  the whole art  scene I can't say I have any collectors.  Well actually, there is a old dear friend of mine from Oklahoma that has purchased 4 paintings from me in the past two years so if old dear friends count as collectors, then I guess I have one.

Now that I am trying to make a little mark in this world with my art, I find that many of the same business principles apply, but most artists don't stop to consider a marketing plan.   In my short experience I told Linda that my marketing plan basically consisted of "Keep painting and blogging and they will come." I loved Linda's encouraging words back to me...

Linda Riesenberg Fisler-Artist "Collectors---cultivating them is hard work Julie--gee no new news there!  You aren't alone in your belief. We just need to keep doing what we are doing, being fearless, entering shows, talking with galleries when we are ready and not let anyone stop us from doing what we believe in! Onward!! xo."


No comments:

Post a Comment