Friday, October 18, 2013

What Are You Standing On?

A few months back, I started painting this piece as part of a photo challenge with several of my artist friends.  It wasn't long before this piece took on special meaning and I begin considering the old hymn "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less" by Edward Mote as I painted the composition.  Now this morning I did a little reading about Pastor Mote and his famous song during my devotions.  Do you know this song was written in 1834?  What a message of encouragement he has left as his legacy.  As an artist, it is the greatest goal to create pieces that move those that view it.  As I started painting this piece the words of this old hymn kept coming to my mind.  



As I painted the distant storm clouds, I thought of the words "In every high and stormy gale" and when I worked on the strong rocky cliffs, I sang "On Christ, the solid Rock". And when I added little tree, I was reminded that "His blood support me in the whelming flood".  I was moved to consider my own life and all that my relationship with The Lord has meant to me.  I still remember that night, as if it was yesterday. It was April 1, 1975 and at the close of the message, I went forward and knelt at the little alter in the front of that tiny church in Osage Beach Missouri.  As 13 year old unhappy girl, I was desperately seeking acceptance and purpose in my life.  It was that night that I met my merciful and gracious Savior Jesus in a real and life changing way.  Ever since, He has been my Solid Rock.  He is the one constant that never changes.  Even when I struggle with relationships or experience tragedy in my life, it is my faith that I always cling to.  When this world that I am part of seems to be spiraling out of control, all I can do is turn to Him and pray!

My prayer this morning is that you will read these old words by Edward Mote and study my piece that I call "Standing on the Solid Rock" and be encouraged.

"My Hope is Built on Nothing Less" 
                        by
              Edward Mote

  1. My hope is built on nothing less
    Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
    I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
    But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.
    • Refrain:
      On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
      All other ground is sinking sand,
      All other ground is sinking sand.
  2. When darkness veils His lovely face,
    I rest on His unchanging grace;
    In every high and stormy gale,
    My anchor holds within the veil.
  3. His oath, His covenant, His blood
    Support me in the whelming flood;
    When all around my soul gives way,
    He then is all my hope and stay.
  4. When He shall come with trumpet sound,
    Oh, may I then in Him be found;
    Dressed in His righteousness alone,
    Faultless to stand before the throne.


20 x 20 Acrylic painting titled "Standing on the Solid Rock"


If you are interested in this piece or viewing my other works please consider visiting my website at julietownsendstudio.com or email me at Julie@JulieTownsendStudio.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment