Sunday, February 11, 2018

Toot Your Own Horn




I am blown away right now and so I have decided to share a little marketing tip with you. I've sought out and joined several Facebook groups that are actually decorating groups that are more specific to my particular art style. Mainly groups that are all about Country, Farmhouse and Primitive decorating.

Some of these groups are huge and have very large memberships. I might also say that many if not most, of their membership love art that features cows, chickens, pigs and such. That makes me their perfect artist. One particular group I belong to has over 150,000 members. Now selling isn't allowed in most of these groups, so you can't post links to your Etsy Shop or direct them to your website. You can, however cleverly post pictures of your art and steer the post and the following discussion in such a way that you don't appear to be there just to hawk your wares. When someone asks about purchasing your work, you just direct them to private message you. I love the inspiration I see from the other posts in the group and at the same time I'm building a fan base.

Here is an example, last night I posted a picture of a new project that I had just finished using resin, a mini cast iron skillet, some embellishments, sticks and leaves and one of my chickadee stickers. Long story short...I currently have over 1000 likes, 44 shares (that is a big deal) and 143 positive comments. Oh, and I sold the little piece this morning in a private message and it is already boxed up and ready to ship.

My purpose isn't to brag but to share the fact with you that Facebook is a REALLY BIG marketing tool as well as is Instagram, Blogger and Twitter and many more. To be successful as an artist you must become a marketing guru. Let's face it, unless you are really big in the art community, no one is going to promote you. You are the brand and you have to get out there to make your "Brand" stand out among all the others.

It doesn't happen overnight, but you will reap the rewards if you start expanding your reach. The idea that if you paint it, they will come is a false notion that will result in stacks and stacks of artwork and very little sales. I have been working hard on this for over 5 years and I have come to the realization that galleries are not going to do it for me. Opening and Etsy Shop or having an outdated website, that you never touch isn't going to do it. There isn't just "ONE" perfect marketing venue. No, you have to blanket them all and do it everyday. Treat it like a job and the sales will begin to happen. 2018 is going to be my "BREAK THROUGH YEAR!"

Oh, by the way...I do have a website, and Etsy Shop, and you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter @JulieTownsendStudio.



No comments:

Post a Comment