Friday, July 6, 2018

Fontology 101

Today makes 2 months exactly since I became painfully aware of the common to everyone in the human race except for me, that the COMIC SANS font was the last font on the planet you wanted to use if you want to be taken seriously.  This awareness set me on my current journey to find the fonts I really liked and then to have an artistic eye on just how to combine them to catch the attention of my audience.  The definition of Typography is, "the style and appearance of printed matter.  *the art or procedure of arranging type or processing data and printing from it."

How appropriate to actually use the work ART of ARRANGING TYPE.  Art is exactly what it is.  Today I thought I would share 5 of my favorite font discoveries so far.  I have used the all familiar "THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPS OVER THE LAZY DOG" sentence to demonstrate what each look like at 14 pt and in BOLD.   The first line of course is the forbidden comic sans font which I have taken the liberty of striking through. 




Here is a poster I designed this week to accompany my little chihuahua watercolor/pen and ink sketch.  I decided to use a combination of two fonts, "Love Ya Like a Sister" by Kimberly Geswein and "Dancing Script".  Both can be found with open licenses on the Google Fonts site.  I included the links for you. 

You can find this particular poster as a downloadable file on my Etsy Shop along with lots of other examples of my artwork that is available there.  You can also see more of my fine art on my website at Julie Townsend Studio.  Stop in and take a look around, drop me a comment or following me on Instagram or Facebook @JulieTownsendStudio.  All of these will make me very happy!

Have a great weekend and try to stay cool!



And to close with a few comic sans jokes

 




No comments:

Post a Comment