Thursday, July 19, 2018

Let's Talk About Snowmen When it is 110 Outside

It's like Christmas in July....


I'm just a little late in getting this news out but with good news I think it is always better late than never.  

I am so happy to announce that my painting, "First Snowman" won both the visitor choice award at the Boulder City Art Gallery for two months in a row.  (March and April 2018)  If that isn't exciting news enough, I  find out that this piece has now been selected to be the featured artwork for all the Boulder City Winterfest marketing materials. This piece is very special to me as it is actually a painting of myself and my brother. Here is the memory I shared with the Winterfest committee,
"This piece was inspired by a reference photo that was taken of my brother and I after we finished building, what seemed to me at the time the best snowman ever. We were standing in front of my grandmother's house in Swedeborg, Missouri. I think I might be 5 here and my brother 4.

I clearly remember my sweet grandmother out there helping us put together what is very likely my first attempt at sculpture. I even remember getting the scarf and hat from my grandmother's closet and then going through her button jar to find the perfect buttons to form the eyes and mouth for this jolly old fellow. A photo captured the moment but it was my grandmother that made that moment a sweet memory."


No comments:

Post a Comment