Friday, March 29, 2024

Have You Ever Had a Daisy, I Mean Lazy Day?




Well, that is what kept going through my mind as I tried to come up with a name for my newest drawing.  I like to come up with clever or catchy titles but I did have a bit of a struggle with this one.  Sometimes coming up with just the right title is as stressful as bringing the artwork to a finished piece.  There are times that I know exactly what I'm going to call the piece before I even start drawing, but that is not my normal art piece progression.

After I have finished the drawing and have worked out all the aspects of the composition on my computer, I leave the piece open in its largest size so that it fills up my entire computer screen.  This way I can walk by it throughout the day and think about what I'm going to call it.  I often will go to the online sites to look at a list of all the rhyming words or use a thesaurus to maybe find a more interesting word to use as part of the title or description.

Another resource I will often turn to is doing an online search for puns or memes about the subject.  The marketplace sites are also a place to get inspiration.  Funny cards and posters will often give you a spark of "clever".  And sometimes there is not "clever" to be found and then the piece might end up with an obvious name such as "Goat in a Tub".  I mean that works, especially if you have several pieces that focus on a goat in a wash tub and the obvious clever title of "Tub Goat" is already taken from your last piece.  

This new mouse drawing is so cute that I felt it needed a cute name but all I could come up with is "It's a Daisy Day".  The name works for this piece and while it might not just have you rolling on the floor, the cuteness level that I have captured here is pretty high up there on the cuteness scale.  So I think that I'm at least going to get  a smile out of you.

I'm really loving this chubby mouse look.  I've been drawing a number of mouse pieces as of late and I think that for my future pieces will all focus on the adventures and antics of this chubby little guy.  I might give him some friends to join on his little forays.  Now, if you don't like mice I need to state right up front that "I'm sorry." Mice have always been something I have enjoyed drawing and so you are probably going to be seeing more of them.  Don't worry, I'm still drawing plenty of cows, goats and other cute critters too.  Mice may be my current muse, but farm animals are my addiction.  

What would you like to see me draw more of in 2024?  I would LOVE to hear from you on that topic.  

 

http://www.julietownsendstudio.com/store/p1106/mouseyadventures-itsadaisyday.html 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment