Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2013- Year of My Sketchbook


I have been doing a great deal of blogging about sketching this week and have picked up that small tablet of blank paper and have done a couple of drawings.  However, I don't think that drawing a picture with pen and pencil really reflects the creative discipline that other artists put such emphasis on.  Yesterday, I had the opportunity to get a glimpse of the sketchbook of a very accomplished wildlife artist, John Seerey-Lester while reviewing this photo album on Facebook.  I just love the artist community that Facebook has created, because when I asked him about his sketchbook, I received a wonderful reply that I have recorded below that was not only informative, but very encouraging.  Please check out Mr. Seerey-Lester's work.  I guarantee you will be impressed and inspired.

I see that the sketchbook really serves as a diary or journal of sorts for Mr. Seerey-Lester and that excites me.  I am anxious now to start my own creative record for this year.  I plan on creating a separate page on this blog to record my sketchbook in hopes that it will inspire someone else to make that commitment.  I would love to hear from you if you do.



  • Julie Diveley Townsend I know this is a silly question, but is this a typical example of your sketchbook? I'm trying to sketch more but find that I'm sometimes not sure what to record for future reference. Just curious.

  • John Seerey-Lester Julie, yes this is typical. I sketch most days if I'm doing something other than sitting at the easel. I use a ballpoint pen to sketch then use a watercolor wash. I do about one sketch book per year. These are also journals and contain a lot of writing aswellas sketches. Every time we take a trip somewhere I do at least one sketch on location each day. For instance, we've just come back from Sanibel Island where I sketched the bird life each day. I have over 30 of these sketch books now and it's great to occasionally go through them and remember what you did, where and when. I also use them to record ideas for future paintings. Hope this helps ?

  • Julie Diveley Townsend Thank you for sharing. I know I'm told that making preliminary sketches on location are so key but I just haven't got the hang of it. Actually seeing your sketchbook gives me a better feel of what it is that I should consider doing myself. What a treasure these are for you I am sure.

  • John Seerey-Lester Yes Julie, I do treasure them. Try keeping a sketch book yourself and sketch in it each week. I think you will soon see the benefit. Good luck. Let me know how you go on.



No comments:

Post a Comment