Friday, January 11, 2013

MISSING-Picture on a Milk Carton

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Ever since the first missing child's picture appeared on the side of a milk carton we have used the public as a very important part of the recovery process.  All of us have watched Adam Walsh in his TV crusade, "Americas Most Wanted" bring criminals and fugitives to justice.  It is the public that becomes the tool that can aid law enforcement to eventually apprehend dangerous murderers and rapists from our midst. Maybe once again the public can again help locate a lousy art thief.

Yesterday, a dear friend and painting instructor, Lily Adamscyzk had a prize possession go missing.  No it wasn't a kidnapping of a child or a family member, but rather a painting that she calls "A Night in Paris" was apparently stolen right out of her gallery here in Las Vegas. Currently, there are no real leads as to who perpetrated the theft or where the painting is located.  You might be thinking how could I compare the theft of a piece of art to that of a kidnapped child and while I know nothing compares to the well being and life of a fellow human; as an artist your paintings become a very real part of your life.  Often, so much of your identity and energy is poured into the work that you develop a very strong emotional attachment.  I know that this whole affair has taken a toll on my friend.

When I spoke to Lily last night she explained, "That only a few times in an artists life do you create a piece of art that turns out exactly the way you had hoped and that you are completely proud of and this piece is that to me.  It's like having a child and he is lost and I don't know where he is tonight."

Take a good look at this very distinctive 24" x 36" gallery wrapped oil painting of the Las Vegas skyline and then consider the risk that every artist takes to show their work in a public venue.  I hope that the final outcome of this story will be the recovery of the piece. Doing a little research on stolen art I discovered that there are many famous works of art stolen over the century. I didn't realize that the "Mona Lisa" was stolen in 1911 and recovered several years later and Edvard Munch's "The Scream" has actually been stolen twice. Not sure why anyone would bother with that one.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Julie for putting so much into helping me find this piece! I so appreciate your support and friendship! Fyi,the painting is actually 24x36 gallery wrap...I was not thinking about the scale so much when I spoke with you about the theft and quoted the incorrect size...Thank you again so much! Lily :)

    ReplyDelete