Wednesday, July 4, 2018

INSPIRATION UNDER FOOT

Mice taking a Shower in the Rain
Here are two new pieces that I designed just this week. I call them posters but I just enjoy taking my artwork and combining them into encouraging or funny images with the help of a little Photoshop.

The first image here I call, "Showers of Blessings". I had this idea of the drawing some mice taking a bath in the rain. I thought the one with the toothbrush and his mouth wide open was cute and then I really got a kick of drawing the little one on the right has a life vest on. That made me laugh for sure.

Kitten with Ginger
The second piece is kind of close to home for me. While I was off visiting our son in Georgia a couple weeks ago, Brad discovered that we had a litter 4 feral kittens born in our backyard. When they were old enough, he set out to trap them so that we could socialize them and find them good homes. This is actually the last kitten we caught and we are crossing our fingers that today he too has found a good home. In the meantime these past several days he has been running around our house getting into about every tiny space or crevice he could find. He has also found a new best friend in my chihuahua Ginger. I'm not sure that the feelings are mutual but he seems to have a great deal of fun chasing her wagging tail.


Dog Art
After I had finished to "Showers of Blessing" piece I had already found a reference photo and decided I would try my hand at painting a chihuahua. I wanted to use watercolor and pen and ink. Here is a scan of my original drawing. I still have to finish the background but I usually try to get a scan of it before the background goes in. This allows me more freedom to use the image in other compositions.
As I was trying to think of a creative and funny way to use this drawing in my digital art, I realized that I didn't have to look far for my art inspiration. I realized that I didn't have to look any further than at my feet.
What was Ginger thinking when all of a sudden her world was rocked by a tiny ball of fluff that persisted in following her all around the house with the occasional pouncing on her wagging tail or grabbing at her as she walked past. I'm sure she was thinking, "Seriously! Is this some kind of a bad joke?"
Cat Art
I had drawn this little kitten with colored pencil just a month ago for a cat themed art show that I was participating in. I knew she would be perfect as the feline companion to my single chihuahua.
Photoshop is such an amazing program. With just a little adjustment here and a swipe of the eraser or the lasso tool you can create almost anything. I decided to add only the one word, "Seriously". In my mind the whole story is so clear but I wonder if I really convey the feeling of the drama of the situation with just this one word? Does this make sense? I guess the jury is still out on that one and I maybe pulling this piece back into Photoshop if down the road I think of something funnier to say.
If you like my artwork, then you might want to check out my website at Julie Townsend Studio. You can follow me on Instagram or Facebook @JulieTownsendStudio and I also have an Etsy Shop you can check out where I sell posters, prints, jewelry and mugs with my images on them.


"Seriously, Is this some kind of a joke?"  Dog and Cat Drama

No comments:

Post a Comment